Your e-commerce success is directly affected by your Google visibility. Nearly 70% of customers search online before making a purchase decision. Online stores need to learn SEO tips for e-commerce to increase their sales.
What happens if customers are unable to find your e-commerce website? If your website cannot be found via search engines, your online presence will cease to exist.
SEO is the best way to increase your site’s visibility in search engines. This will result in higher online traffic and conversions.
This article will cover all you need to know about web traffic and e-commerce SEO. The top 10 practical SEO tips for your e-store.
What is web traffic?
Web traffic can be described as the number of visitors to a website. Web traffic analysis tools allow you to determine how many people visit your website at any given time.
In most cases, there are two primary data for analytics tools:
- Pageviews Total number of users who visit your website. If a user visits more pages than one, they are considered an additional pageview
- Unique Pageviews: A unique pageview is a visit to a page that a user makes once or multiple times in a session.
The following example will help you to grasp the key points if you are still confused.
- The user visits page A, navigates to page B, and then returns to page A. This means that you get 3 pageviews per user.
- With unique pageviews, however, no matter how many times customers visit page A in a session, it is still counted only as one unique pageview.
The greater your chances of generating qualified leads, the more visitors to your website. Long-term, increased website traffic will help you differentiate your business and earn a better reputation.
Traffic is not always good. It’s important to focus on traffic numbers but also on improving the quality of traffic.
What is Ecommerce SEO?
According to SEMrush, 37.5% of all traffic to e-commerce came from searches. This means that 37.5% of your potential traffic could be lost. 60% of clicks are directed to the top three websites from search engine results.
How do you rank your ecommerce website?
SEO is the best way to get your website higher in search via popular search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
It is unique because all rankings generated by SEO are natural. To get your rankings, you don’t need to spend through Google Ads.
SEO is considered the most cost-effective option, but it will require a lot of effort and time.
It’s worth it, as you will see a significant increase in quality and quantity traffic. This leads to more conversions.
What is SEO and how important is traffic to your online shop?
SEO is the best option if you don’t want to pay-per-click advertising or paid search results but still want your e-store visible to the right audience.
7 reasons why SEO and organic traffic are crucial for your online success
- Get more qualified prospects: The leads generated through SEO are more relevant and have higher conversions than those from paid advertising.
- Increase sales conversion rate: Customers will click on your website if the content meets their needs and is listed in their search results
- Boots sales This means that your store will get more conversions which in turn leads to more profit
- An economical solution: You could lower your marketing costs to buy and maintain traffic by using more organic (nonpaid) traffic from SEO.
- Building a brand: SEO will increase your website’s value and build up your reputation.
- Increase your credibility by 75% of clicks are organic. Customers prefer to see the organic results first, over the paid ones. It’s a sign of trust when your e-store appears on the first page of an organic search.
- Be competitive: A page at the first rank in a search result is 10x more likely than one at the 10th rank. The CTR (advertising fees) for moving up one spot in a search result will go up 30.8%. SEO can help you gain a competitive advantage
We can compare the organic traffic (via search engine optimization) and the paid traffic (via advertisements). This shows that SEO has more benefits for your business over time, even though it isn’t immediately visible.
Top 10 eCommerce SEO Tips to Increase Your Store’s Traffic
Find e-commerce keywords
Keyword Research The process of analyzing and finding search terms Internet users type into search engines to achieve SEO or marketing goals.
Use the searched keywords:
- Page title: This is the page Google uses to determine the relevancy of your site.
- The meta description Put your key keywords in the first 160 characters. This will describe the clickable hyperlink
- Subheadings Help visitors know the relevancy of content before they click on it
- Content The main content should be in the first two sentences or the first paragraph. Next, use the keyword and its variations
- URLs: BestURLs give Google and visitors a hint about what’s on your website
Marketers can find the interests and needs of most Internet users by researching keywords for their popularity and search volume.
These topics can then be used to determine which keywords to use to create content that is relevant to customers’ searches in search engines.
Search engines to find the right keywords.
- Google Analytics
Optimize your business listing
It can be difficult to rank high in search results due to the many competitors. There is one area of SEO you can use to make a big difference in the search results for your business: Local SEO.
Checklist for optimizing local business listings:
- Enter your business information in Google My Business
- It can be modified so customers can find you easily
- If you notice any changes in your name, address, or phone number, it is important to update them regularly
- Keep accurate business hours
- Add a high-quality, relevant photos
- Encourage reviews and respond
- Register for a local listing service
Updating web structure
2 elements of web structure have a significant impact on your store:
- Breadcrumb navigation This displayed form of site navigation allows readers to see exactly where they are located on your website, but not have to look at the URL. It can have a positive effect on site mapping and organization.
- URLs A clean URL makes it easy for visitors and Google to find your website. (Forex, a good and clean example of a URL is: https://www.mageplaza.com/magento-2-better-blog/)
Make more content
Content creation is important, even if you have an e-commerce website. Optimized publishing content has been proven to be the best way to increase visibility and get qualified organic traffic.
Hubspot states that the more blog posts on your website, the higher the indexed traffic.
Optimize Category Pages
The category page on ecommerce websites is what can bring you the most organic traffic, aside from your website’s homepage.
This is because people are more inclined to search for generic categories. For more precise searches, keywords visitors will search for strong intent and not specific product names.
Some tips for category pages:
- You can use the keyword search to find category titles
- Use creative and appealing content to optimize the category meta description
- Each category page should have one H1 tag
- Please include a description of the category page you love the H1 tag
- Include internal links in the description. You can also include visuals of your products throughout this category page.
Optimize product pages
Your SEO strategy’s success depends on the quality of the content on your product pages.
It is difficult to stand out from thousands of other products that have similar functionality.
Optimizing all parts of your web content including H1’s, Meta Titles, and Meta Descriptions can help you achieve this goal.
Amazon has some great tips to help you make your product pages more effective.
- Your brand is your focus
- Keep your descriptions short and simple.
- Bullet points can be used to highlight particular benefits/features
- Copywriting should be about the buyer’s persona
Focus on Mobile
It’s not surprising that Google has placed web performance on mobile devices at the top of its search engine ranking criteria.
Mobile optimization ensures that your website is accessible on smartphones and tablets. Mobile-friendliness can increase your online store’s SERPs.
You should take care of these elements as an e-commerce merchant:
- Your store’s mobile interface
- Mobile devices speed up page loading and reduce load times
- Navigation and UX for mobile devices
- Easy checkout for smart devices
These are key elements to consider when improving your e-commerce SEO. They will make your online store more user-friendly for smartphone users.
Next, I’ll give you a step-by-step guide to make sure your mobile optimization is done correctly.
- Verify if your website is mobile-friendly
- You can choose the most mobile-friendly option: It could be a responsive design, dynamic server, separate mobile-friendly websites, or a smartphone app.
- Mobile e-commerce SEO best practice: Make sure your site meets Google’s mobile-friendly criteria
- Use SEO tools
Remove broken links from e-commerce SEO
Think about how visitors will follow links to your website and expect certain content once they reach that page. Broken links can be detrimental to user experience, as well as your SEO’s relationship with Google.
Tips and tricks to avoid and fix 404 pages:
- Instead of deleting content, update or refresh it
- Use 301 redirects to redirect visitors to a new webpage
- If an error occurs and an external site links to you via an incorrect URL, contact the web owners to request an updated link
Tip for E-commerce SEO: Increase website speed
Google has stated site speed as one of the factors that Google uses to rank pages. It will determine the page’s loading time. Slow web speeds mean that search engines are unable to crawl more pages using the allocated crawl budget. This can negatively impact your indexation.
The site speed does not only impact the Google search engine but also impacts the user experience. Longer loading times are associated with higher bounce rates and a longer average page time.
It is possible to check the speed of your website and identify what causes it to load slowly. Here are two tools to help you do this:
- Google PageSpeed Insights
Add XML sitemaps to the Search Console
Sitemap.xml, in simple terms, is a list listing all URLs on your website. It acts as a guideline to help search engines find the content available and how to get it.
XML sitemaps are a great SEO tool if you have multiple pages in your online store. Search engines can crawl them all and find them.
Even if you aren’t an SEO expert, you can still benefit from SEO e-commerce for your business success. E-commerce SEO is not an easy task, but it can provide you with immediate results.
Don’t delay and drive valuable traffic to your online shop today!